Landscape VS Portrait: Card Orientation
Let’s start by defining our terms.
Landscape refers to the orientation that is wider than it is tall. (Horizontal Layout)
Portrait is taller than it is wide. (Vertical Layout)
Designing ID cards can be displayed landscape (horizontally) or portrait (vertically). The orientation of your ID cards will impact how they are used and differ in content value. Many companies utilize both orientations.
Let's explore both portrait and landscape orientations.
- These are better for photo ID card badges (student badges, badges of the sales staff in the shops, badges of exhibition and other different events visitors).
- This layout is great for those that want to keep it simple with minimal text, a photo and a nice company logo.
- Worn only as an ID card requiring limited cardholder data.
- Printing large readable fonts for single line data is restrictive with a vertical design
- These are carried in a purse or pocket (e.g., bank cards, membership cards, loyalty cards).
- It allows for a little more room in terms or text space.
- Longer logos or text fields will look better on a horizontal orientation since you won’t have to shrink the font size or wrap the text to fit in the allotted card space.
- Used with swipe readers.
- Horizontal formats are oriented better so the slot punch does not go through larger printed graphics on the top edge.
- Carried as a wallet item requiring detailed cardholder data.
- For membership cards, horizontal designs allow you to place larger amounts of data if needed.
The simplest ID card designs are often the best. Avoid over-complicated designs with too many images or fancy fonts. Instead, focus on developing a clear ID card design.
If you would like to learn more about our ID layout or doing a customized ID design, give us a call! Our ID experts would be happy to answer any questions you may have about our products.
Edge-to-Edge Printing vs. Over-the-Edge Printing
What is edge-to-edge printing?
- Edge-to-edge printing is a common print style with direct-to-card ID card printers.
- It leaves a slim border around the surface of your printed ID card.
- The border isn't printed; rather it's a small area of the card to which no print was applied.
- It is generally more affordable.
- Cards with a white border tend to look a little less professional than their border-free counterparts.
What is over-the-edge printing?
- This print method is available on reverse-transfer printers, also known as retransfer printers.
- It leaves no visible border around the edges of your printed ID card.
- The film fuses to the entire surface of the card, leaving no border.
- It is a more expensive option, but it produces a higher-quality, more professional ID card.
Now that you know the difference between edge-to-edge printing and over-the-edge printing, it's time to get yourself a new machine!
Checklist - for your ID Card Printer
You already have your ID card printer. What other items should you consider to complete your ID card system?
Here’s a list to use as a guide!
- Card Printer Training - learn from our ID expert, a peace of mind knowing you have been trained by a professional and had all your questions answered
- Ribbons, Cleaning Kits & Supplies – ensure high printing quality with genuine supplies
- Plastic Cards – stock up on cards so that you won’t run out
- ID Software – allows you to easily design ID cards, manage and store cardholder information, communicate with databases, and add functionality.
- Camera – professional-looking photos for your IDs
- Signature Pad - capture your user’s signature quick and easy
- Lanyard & Lace - to ensure that your ID is visible at all times
- Card Holders – keep your ID protected and increases the lifespan of your cards
- Slot Punch – punch a hole or slot in your ID card – it can hang from a strap clip, lanyard, lace or reel.
We’ll help you figure out which card printer supplies you need to keep your ID card program running efficiently and effectively!
Card printer with wide range options
Card Printers have a wide range of options so you can select the printer that best matches your organization’s needs.
Card printers are not just in single use but you can turn into a multiple and cost-effective card programs. An ID card printer can do much more than print your identification cards. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Visitor Passes
It is used by businesses to control access and increase security by identifying the visitors entering the facility. By issuing your visitor with a badge, it ensures that no unauthorized people are on your office.
Visitor Passes might seem like a small thing, but they make a big impact. The best companies know that paying attention to these kinds of details can make all the difference.
2. Calling or Business Cards
Most businesses have a traditional paper business card. Business cards are a way to make a quick first impression on the recipients.
So, stand out from the crowd with a unique business card printed on a plastic card. Give a personal touch and make an impression so that your clients will keep it. It can result to business opportunities.
Also, printing your own business cards; you will have the complete control over the design and the quantity printed.
Take note in in-house printing you don’t have to worry about sensitive information or data leaving your organizations. You don’t open yourself up to potential risks from outside sources.
To get the most out of your investment, it is important that you select ID card printers that are best equipped to meet your needs.
The final decision is down to you and if you're ready and you’d like to chat with one of our identification experts about our ID card printers don’t hesitate to get in touch!
Guide to start an ID printing business.
There are different factors you need to consider before investing into a business. In ID printing business, you have to invest on time, knowledge and creativity.
Starting an ID printing business is a good business venture that can make big profits for anyone desiring to start a business. ID badges and passes are important for school, corporate office, government and event use. Look for clients who regularly need corporate IDs, school IDs, VIP or discount cards, loyalty cards, contact cards and labels.
Machines and consumables are everywhere, you just need to differentiate those of better quality that can help you run your business for long term.
Choose a supplier that provide whole solution packages, one that is able to provide consistent quality at various quantities.
If you are looking for trusted ID printing supplier that can give excellent services and high quality of machines and consumable, you're in the right spot.
Competitive Card Solutions is the leading provider of identification products and solutions in the Philippines. Lets’ keep in touch.
Getting involved in this industry, you need to recognized exactly what type of machine you will need to buy. Once you have the appropriate type of machine on hand, you can start printing and bringing in revenue for your business.
You can check our products and solutions at CCS.COM.PH